PureRa is a simple tool that does a simple job: it removes files from your computer that other mainstream cleaning programs tend to oversee. Some of our targets can simply be removed to create some valuable space while others are removed in an attempt to repair certain problems because they will simply recreate themselves.
Targets that are currently removed by PureRa are:
- Config.msi Folder [The Config.msi folder contains backup of that are being installed or updated during an install. Sometimes a Windows Installer package is sloppy and doesn't automatically remove unpacked setup files and the Config.msi folder can get cluttered with useless files]
- Thumbs.db [when you view the contents of a folder in 'Thumbnail' or 'Filmstrip' view a system file called Thumbs.db is generated automatically by Windows XP. Thumbs.db contains a copy of each of the tiny preview images generated for image files in that folder so that they load up quickly the next time you browse that folder. Thumbs.db also stores your settings with regard to thumbnail and filmstrip view. Though they are small they may annoy you because there may be hundreds of them]
- Iconcache.db [The icons used in Windows are saved in an icon cache. These can become corrupted and lead to garbled/fuzzy icons. Deleting the Iconcache.db file will force Windows to re-create itself flawlessly]
- .sqm-files [sqm-files are created by MSN Messenger and Windows Live Messenger. It is rumored that they are created to become the reports that these programs will send if you turn on the option to allow Microsoft to gather information about your use of MSN Live Messenger (read surfing behavior). These reports are still being generated (as sqm-files) but not send]
- Desktop.ini [Desktop.ini is used to tell Windows how to display a folder. For example, enabling Thumbnail view creates a desktop.ini file in that folder which amongst other things, tells Windows to add an extra item to the View menu for that folder. Desktop.ini files are also used when you customize folders, change their icons etc.]
[20may10] PureRa 1.6
[Fixed] Issue with spacebar/button focus.
[Fixed] Grammatical issue in description.
[Fixed] Closing 'About' windows closes whole program.
[Added] PureRa automatically requests full Admin privileges (allows creation of log on Vista/7).
[21feb10] PureRa 1.5
[Added] Removal of SpyBot Update Files
[01aug09] PureRa 1.4
[Added] Removal of Temp Files
[Added] Removal of WMI Logs
[Removed] Desktop.ini cleaning
[Interface] Minor interface changes
[Internal] Reworked backend to increase efficiency
[Added] Complete cleaning of SoftwareDistribution logs
[Added] Whitelist for User's folder icons
[Fixed] Inaccurate "Total Space Freed" figure.
[New] Added cleaning for Windows Update Installation Files, SoftwareDistribution Logs
[New] Alphabetized items
[New] Program now shows which folders are scanned
[New] Log now shows how much spaced has been gained
[New] Added cleaning for Desktop.ini, Config.msi
[New] Added new screen that shows the targets
[New] Added 'ToolTips' and 'Check All' option
[New] Added Spanish translation of program's description in About-dialog
[Fixed] Vastly improved appearance of PureRa's icon (Thanks to Tarun)
- Initial release
- Cleans Iconcache.db, Thumbs.db, .sqm-files
Windows Versions Supported Currently: Windows XP and Vista without UAC.